[Tagging] Feature Proposal – RFC – natural=peninsula (Was: Feature Proposal – RFC – place=peninsula)

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 09:24:18 UTC 2019

Hi Dave,

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 at 00:33, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the proposal, Markus, but am confused by this statement:
>
> natural=peninsula is not intended for tagging coastal areas or coastal strips.
>
> What does it mean? Can you word it differently perhaps?

I wasn't able to reword it, but i've added some examples of what i
mean with coastal areas or coastal strips:

French Riviera <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Riviera>
Costa Smeralda <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Smeralda>
Costa Blanca <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Blanca>
West Coast <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_of_the_United_States>
Riviera Maya <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riviera_Maya>
Skeleton Coast <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_Coast>

The intention of this statement is to prevent natural=peninsula from
being used for areas that go beyond 'nearly surrounded by water'
(similar to these natural=bay examples:
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-January/041962.html>).

Regards

Markus