[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Eugene Podshivalov yaugenka at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:44:46 UTC 2019

Not all ditches can be called drains and not all drains can be called
ditches and there is some overlapping in their meanings which causes the
confusion.

I see three ways to go:
1. Define the basic meanings from dictionaries and let users decide on
which tag to use, similar to Peter Elderson's version from the preceding
post.
2. Allow some deviation from dictionary definitions to make a clear cut
between the two. This is similar to how "stream" is currently restricted to
the maning of "you can jump over it".
3. Introduce some abstract notions with clear definitions of each
sub-notion. Similar to highway=track + tracktype=grade1,grade2 etc. or
boundary=administrative + admin_level=2,3 etc.

Cheers,
Eugene