[Tagging] club=scout for similar organisations

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 3 02:05:59 UTC 2019

Le 02.02.19 à 15:11, Paul Allen a écrit :
> unless somebody comes up with a valid objection, just go with club=chiro

I and my family members are or have been part of the "Scouts", Guides
and Patro. There are subtle numbers between them but I don't think any
of them would contradict me if I say that they are part of a whole.
the official term was "youth movement" [1] and the common term "scout"
because the method is very similar to what's called "scout method" [2].
Using a different value for each of these groups implies a more
complicated use of the data. that is why I think it would be better to
continue the current club=scout system and add precision with
scouts=Scouts|Guiding|Patro|Chiro or any other tag to describe the
"upstream" organisation/variant.
With more than 539 "scout-like" [3] organizations I think it's usefull.
In belgium alone, wikipedia lists 14 and some are missing
Should we ask each contributor to be an expert in the subtleties between
those groups in order to be able to choose the value of the main tag?
this seems unrealistic !
the other solution is club=scout-like-youth-organisation which seems
a little long :)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youth_organizations
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_method
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting