[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Eugene Podshivalov yaugenka at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:52:04 UTC 2019

Michael, thank you very much for such in-depth analysis. I would conclude
the following from it.

There are distinctions between these two terms, otherwise they would not be
defined separately.
In simple words, a ditch is a small open-air man-made or self-formed
channel in the ground for absolutely any purpose, both lined or unlined
entirely or partially.
If the purpose of a ditch is to carry away suporflous water be it
industrial discharge or rain water or wet land water or any other liquid it
can be called a drain (or drainage ditch).
Tagging such drains with e.g. waterway=ditch+usage=drainage would be normal.
But it would sound nonsense if you call an open-air overground drainage
construction a "ditch", e.g. http://landscapenashville.com/STA75559.JPG
I would tag such things as man_made=* though.
Drainage overground or buried pipes can be tagged with the
existing man_made=pipeline tag.

Cheers,
Eugene