[Tagging] motorcycle:scale

Hufkratzer hufkratzer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:04:07 UTC 2019

On 04.02.2019 10:27, Warin wrote:
> On 04/02/19 18:51, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 04.02.19 00:07, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>>> Just to avoid misunderstandings - it is in principle completely all
>>> right to invent tags and document them on tag/key pages without
>>> creating a proposal.
>> * invent keys - ok
>>
>> * document widely used/established keys that never went through a
>> proposal process - ok
>>
>> * invent keys and document them as if they were widely used or
>> established - questionable
>
> I have documented some tags that have little use.
>
> There is usually a link to taginfo to give the amount of use.
>
> And there is a status value.
> If I am making a new page/tag I leave this blank - little use and not
> approved.
>
> Far better to document it than to leave open the question what is
> meant by a new tag such as 'man_made=clearcut' or 'landuse=logging'.

Somewhere (I don't know where it was) I read that a new tag has to be
used about 100 times before it can be documented on an a new wiki page
in the key/tag namespace. Otherwise you can create a proposal page and
link to it from other pages. I think this rule makes some sense because
it makes it easier for beginners and for users who do not have the time
to read everything on the wiki to quickly find what is save to use and
distinguish it from what is just the opinion of a single user. A
beginner will not know that the taginfo information may be more
important than a nice looking wiki page. If we allow that everyone can
create a new wiki page in the key/tag namespace for a tag that is used
only twice and list this tag on the *main* features page the will become
next to useless for the occasional user.

---