[Tagging] motorcycle:scale

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 22:55:24 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 06:50, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a scenario in which, as far as I can tell, Mary and Mike have
> done everything right, but the community has failed them. Which of
> these likely outcomes is the 'least worst'?

Thanks Kevin, unfortunately you've summed up fairly well the way that
things frequently seem to happen. :-(

There will also, though, usually be a couple of lonely little voices who
support the (quite good) proposal & make constructive suggestions to change
it from "alpha=betas are found in trees" to "usually found in trees, but
can be found in caves"; while someone else points out that alpha=charlies
are often found in close proximity. Unfortunately, these supporting, on
topic, comments are usually drowned out in the arguments over Greek
spelling.

What concerns me a bit, is that there are 750000+ OSM mappers, which is
great! But it would seem that there are only ~50 (? - someone would know)
members of "Tagging", with only ~20 of those being active (which I would
call contributing to list discussions more than once a week). So 20 of us
are deciding which tags 750000 mappers should use, & pretty well have the
vote of life or death to new proposals!

I know the list is open for anyone to subscribe to, & join in discussions
as they see fit, but I'd think that a lot of newbie mappers would have a
read of the occasionally strident, & sometimes scathing, comments made
towards proposals here & think, Woah, I'm not going in there! :-(

We have a formal rule of "any tags you like", but apparently we're
> converging on a _de facto_ rule of "ask permission before applying any
> tag unless you see that it was the subject of a previously approved
> proposal." Is that the rule we want?

No, it's not

Thanks

Graeme