[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 113, Issue 31 Co-ordinate sets vs. background informations

Ulrich Lamm ulamm.brem at t-online.de
Fri Feb 8 09:37:45 UTC 2019

Am 08.02.2019 um 00:44 schrieb tagging-request at openstreetmap.org:

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 10:01:28 +1100
> From: Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>
> To: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] A general problem: Co-ordinate sets vs.
> 	background informations
>
> I don't know what your trying to say here?
>

> This looks to me like either ;
>
> A) 'imported data cannot be changed'!
> The problem with that is the imported data may be wrong, inaccurate of simply old.
It is necessary that imported geometries can be changed.
It is necessary that also other data can be actualized.

> B) 'imported data cannot be used'
> The problem here is that OSM looses a valuable and large data source.
> Yes it can be 'wrong', 'old' and/or 'inaccurate' but it does give a starting point for improvements.
But for references on definitions, names, and scientific mesurements of geographic objects,
it must be allowed to note "this value is from this source", also if the source is not ODbL
And the provider (e. g. an official environment database) has the natural right to be mentioned and to be cited correctly..
Therefore OSM has to accept Creative Commons conditions for such data.

Courses and outlines of many natural  objects are mapped very roughly OSM.
Values derived from such mappings are incorrect, too,

For some informations, OSM cannot be more correct than offiical databases:
Official definitions may be optimal or suboptimal, but they are valid.
Means of long timelines of measurements cannot be substituted by single measurements in single visits.

> Once in OSM it can be changed by anyone. Even fumble fingered me. Usually errors are picked up and corrected.
> Even deliberate things that are wrong are picked up.

I had repeated the reasons for ODbL.
ODbL necessary for the import of geometries.
But if everything in OSM is ODbL,
OSM isolates itself form references (available under Creative Commons conditions, only), which are essential for its reliability.