[Tagging] tree rows vs individual trees

Ture PĂ„lsson ture at turepalsson.se
Mon Feb 11 09:27:23 UTC 2019

> If a renderer wants to cluster any trees that can be done
> algorithmically.

As someone who tries to render smallish-scale (typcally 1:25000 or
1:50000) maps from OSM data, I am always slightly annoyed when someone
states that something does not need to be mapped bacuse it can be
inferred algorithmically from other data, without describing or at least
giving a reference to such an algorithm.

Tree rows -- real tree rows, i.e. a row of trees planted on purpose to
function as a landscaping feature, not just some random trees which
happen to be in a line -- are important landmarks and often show on maps
as rows of green dots. However, the individual trees are typically too
close to be shown at their real positions, so some generalization is
required. Tagging the tree row provides such a generalization. I have no
doubt that it is theoretically possible to synthesize tree-row objects
from mapped trees, but I would guess that doing so with an acceptable
number of false positives and negatives is close to a masters-thesis
project.