[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Eugene Podshivalov yaugenka at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:07:32 UTC 2019

пн, 11 февр. 2019 г. в 19:19, Hufkratzer <hufkratzer at gmail.com>:

> This would require to deprecate "drain" and remove it from the presets,
> otherwise we will continue to have 2 tags in the long run.  As far as I
> know deprecating a tag is only possible if it's usage declines. Currently
> its usage increases steadily. How do you intend to change that? What is the
> incentive for the mapper to use "ditch" instead of "drain" from now on? I
> am not even sure that most mappers will notice the change on the wiki
> pages.

In Belarus we have 45366 ditches and 93320 drains mapped. 90% of those
drains are drainage ditches (used for wet land drainage) because we have
swamps and wetlands everywhere.
You are right saying that the usage of "drain" increases, but as you see
from the statistics the usage is upside down because people perceive
"drainage ditches" and "drains" as one and the same thing. So why do we
need two tags for one and the same thing?

Cheers,
Eugene