[Tagging] StreetComplete 10 / foot=yes on residential

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Thu Feb 14 13:25:09 UTC 2019

Yes, there is a new quest in v10, which tags foot=yes/no. It is no
problem to make changes on it, but let me first provide some information
on it first, so we have a common basis to discuss:

For any street that has been tagged as having no sidewalk, the
StreetComplete asks the surveyor:

"Is this street accessible for pedestrians here?

This street was tagged as having no sidewalk on either side. So, the
street is only accessible on foot if people may walk on the street
itself or there is enough space to walk beside it."

When the surveyor answers "yes", foot=yes is tagged.

The rationale behind collecting this information is, that if a street is
explicitly surveyed as having no sidewalk, it is no longer implicated
that naturally the street is accessible on foot (foot=yes). Roads
explicitly signed as motorroads are not the only roads that are not
accessible on foot.

And this is an important information for pedestrian routers and maybe a
useful information for car routers (because they might want to prefer
routes without the sidewalk=no + foot=yes combination).

Tobias