[Tagging] StreetComplete 10 / foot=yes on residential

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Feb 15 15:15:36 UTC 2019

Tobias Wrede <list at tobias-wrede.de> writes:

> Think of all the residential roads in cities that get a higher class
> tagging because of their function in the road network. They are mostly
> not different from hw=residential in regards to foot=y/n. And also the
> many roads outside built-up areas have mostly no restrictions.

Agreed.

> Roads with separate foot/cycle ways or with sidewalks are the clear
> minority and still are often the only means of traveling by foot.

I don't follow what you mean.  In the US, we generally do not have rules
that say that if there is a sidewalk you cannot walk in the road.  (We
(MA anyway) do often have a rule that you cannot ride a bicycle on the
sidewalk in a central business district.)

Are you saying that if there is a sidewalk this is a clue that the road
might be properly tagged foot=no?  I don't think that's a good idea,
unless there really is a law like that in the local jurisdiction.

Part of the issue in general, and especially with editing apps that try
to be more accessible to normals, is that people often do not understand
what the rules are, even in places they live.  They just more or less
know what is typical.

Arguably a pedestrian router should prefer sidewalks/etc. to the road
anyway.  We should not be encoding preference in access restrictions.