[Tagging] start_date variants

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 20:41:49 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 4:28 AM Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would also be interesting to be able to tag the start of construction -
>> often construction starts many years before the building is finshed:
>> Airport BER in Berlin, Germany or La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain
>> are famous examples. How to tag this? Maybe: construction:start_date?
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?
>>

> you could map what was there at any particular time but I think it is
> better to provide the link to Wikipedia. Ordinary users will ever look at
> OSM data close enough to find out this details.

+1 (but link to Wikidata instead of [or in addition to] Wikipedia)

Most OSM data users only care about what is located where. Very few OSM
data users would be interested in historical information such as when a
building, a basilica, or an airport began and finished its construction.
The actual people who would be interested in such information would look
elsewhere instead of OSM and I think Wikidata is an excellent place to
document such rich types of information. For example, see the Wikidata item
for the Sagrada Família: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q48435