[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:30:12 UTC 2019

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 06:11, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 at 19:50, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Am Mo., 18. Feb. 2019 um 19:41 Uhr schrieb Eugene Podshivalov <
>> yaugenka at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> There are a lot of straightened rivers and streams all over the world.
>>> Would it make sense to tag the straightened sections as
>>> canal/ditch/drain rather than river/stream?
>>>

>> I would not generally do it, but I agree at some point you might ask the
>> question if that is still a river or really a canal close to where once was
>> a river...

I'd agree not to change rivers to canals etc unless there's been such a
massive, dramatic change to the waterway, that anybody seeing it for the
first time is going to say "Wow, what happened here"? Think Panama Canal v
the natural river that it followed.

I've dealt with a few like that.  It's not clear which is the best option
> even at the end of a waterway,
> but what do you do if it's in the middle?  It's like having a wooden leg
> with a real foot at the end
> of it...

Or swap it round to a real knee in the middle of a wooden leg!

Thanks

Graeme