[Tagging] units and notations for depth

Tony Shield tony.shield999 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:11:01 UTC 2019

Depth of water in tidal areas can vary enormously. People using depth
for navigation and general use would expect to use depth at MLWS (Mean
Low Water Springs) and add increments based on tide tables, I suggest
that OSM does the same. Use the tidal tag and perhaps a tidal-range tag,
in metres, tidal_range is the difference between MHWS (Mean High Water
Springs) and MLWS.

note - Spring tides are the highest and lowest forecast tides and are
based on the relative position of the earth, moon and sun.

TonyS