[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:39:46 UTC 2019

On 19/02/19 21:21, Tony Shield wrote:

> I'm not in favour of combining ditch and drain. My mind sees a ditch
> as a dug-out stream which may flow into a stream or flow into a drain,
> the drain being a much larger flow. I see drains as  having water flow
> several metres wide but a ditch as less than a metre of surface flow.

Those differences can be mapped using the key width.

Other than the width .. what other differences do you see?

To me;

a drain is a ditch that only provides for water removal. Some of these
are small - less that 1 meter wide. The direction of water flow will
tell you if it is a supply or a removal (drain) system.

a ditch could provide water supply or removal and possibly in some cases
either depending on water levels?