[Tagging] units and notations for maxstay

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:46:57 UTC 2019

On 20/02/19 10:32, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 23:16, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>
>     On 19/02/19 22:03, Paul Allen wrote:
>>     On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 03:48, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Nothing I could see on the wiki for this. So some guidance
>>         would be good.
>>
>>         Units.
>>

>>     I added a maxstay a few weeks ago and I found info about units at
>>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxstay
>>
>>     Units are not explicitly defined, but there are several
>>     examples.  Units in those examples
>>     are minutes, hours, and days.  I expect that weeks, months and
>>     years would also be
>>     acceptable for long-stay parking.  Maybe even decades and
>>     centuries, should they be
>>     needed.  Seconds are too small to be practicable.
>>
>     No information on default units.
>

> True.  But the examples show which units are permissible and how they
> should be
> specified.
>
>     There are some numerical values in the data base without units ...
>     from those values I would guess hours, but they could be days.
>

> Or minutes, depending on actual value.  One place near me says waiting
> is limited to 90 minutes.
> But 90 days is close to 3 months.  Could be either if units aren't given.
>
>     As there is no documentation 'we' could make a decision.
>
>     No information on abbreviations.
>

> From the examples, unit names are spelled out in full.
>
> So the choice is between:
>
>   1) Spelling units in full (as per the examples) and specifying which
> unit is the default.
>
>   2) Coming up with abbreviations and specifying which unit is the
> default.
>
> I'd go with 1).  Firstly, somebody (like me) may have specified units
> that way already.
> Secondly, different languages may have different names for those units
> of time.  We can
> agree to (mostly) use SI units for mass and length because those are
> applicable in much
> of the world and have standard abbreviations.  Common time units like
> minute, hour and
> month probably have different abbreviations in different parts of the
> world.  Less error
> prone if an editor drop-down has minutes/hours/days than m/h/d if "d"
> is the abbreviation
> for a period of 3600 seconds in some language.  Thirdly, minutes and
> months (m and m).

Looks good to me. See what others think.

On default units ..
Possibly specify the smallest unit as that will cause the least amount
of harm with already entered values?
By that I mean a value of '60' if taken as days would be more harmful to
the user (fines, tow away) than if taken as minutes.
Not convinced on this, but it is a thought.