[Tagging] Clarification unclassified vs residential

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:23:22 UTC 2019

It's a bit of a mess in Nederland as well - lots of small residential roads
have once been imported as unclassified, under the assumption that
unclassified means there is no official classification. Which was wrong
because unclassified is in fact a classification. As a result, unclassified
in OSM in Nederland now says that the classification is not known: anything
below tertiary can be unclassified.

You cannot deduct anything from unclassified.

Residential just means it has housing along the road.

Unclassified roads within a residential area are probably (but not always)
residential.

Routing cannot rely on this. I would not rely on a router if it relies on
this tag.

Fr gr Peter Elderson