[Tagging] units and notations for maxstay

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 22:22:56 UTC 2019

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 22:12, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is OSM supposed to be for a tight, dedicated group of expert mappers
> trying to create the best, most accurate, technically-perfect map the World
> has ever seen; or is it for the use of John Doe & Jane Public using OSMAND
> & Maps Me on their mobile phones to find their way from Point A to Point B,
> or round a strange town?

I would argue that if we keep it amongst a tight, dedicated group with no
thought about
producing something of benefit for ordinary consumers then it will stay
that way and it will
progress SLOWLY.  If we try to produce something that ordinary people can
use then a small
fraction of them will see that the map is incomplete and join in.  There
are positive feedback
effects that can come into play, if we don't actively suppress them.

Just my opinion.  However, there is anecdotal evidence from one of the
people on this list
to support the idea that a useful map encourages more people to aid the
effort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t5DxV7cXgQ

--
Paul