[Tagging] start_date variants

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:49:43 UTC 2019

Am Do., 21. Feb. 2019 um 09:17 Uhr schrieb Topographe Fou <
letopographefou at gmail.com>:

> Agree on the purpose of Wikidata but many OSM features (such as buildings)
> does not have a Wikidata item (only major buildings have one, usually
> landmarks).

you can always create one ;-)

> I would rather say that as soon as an OSM item has a Wikidata attribute
> then a QA tool may suggest to move some other attributes in Wikidata

-1, I would be categorically opposing such a suggestion. Removing
information from OpenStreetMap because it is present in external data
(which is referenced by OSM) is not ok. We are not wikimedia or wikidata.
We do not control what they decide. These objects could be removed anytime,
or could be modified anytime in a way that is inconsistent with OSM data.
There are also questions about the copyright situation of content in
wikidata. We should not impose the need to use wikidata in order to make
sense of OSM.

I am not opposing referencing wikidata in general of course, rather I am
doing it a lot myself, even creating wikidata items from time to time, but
this does not mean we should _move_ information from OSM to wikidata. E.g.
not remove the "architect" tag just because someone put an
architect:wikidata=Q123 tag.

Cheers,
Martin