[Tagging] Clarification unclassified vs residential

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:30:13 UTC 2019

Am Di., 26. Feb. 2019 um 14:40 Uhr schrieb Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it>:

> ... and not only cycleways: have a look here, where I live:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/45.4364/12.3334
>
> All are "highway=pedestrian", at the same level, but believe me: they are
> not!

Venice is a globally unique (or maybe almost unique) exception anyway, but
what we currently have there is the result of people reclassifying all the
footways as pedestrian roads, even if they are 50 cm wide. I have started
in the past several attempts to open a discussion on this, but it felt like
Don Quixote. See this as an example:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/488627565/history I have surveyed it
myself, like many others, where I began to reclassify the very narrow
footpaths from pedestrian to footway, but I am not local and people destroy
the finer grained distinction of footway and pedestrian as soon as you add
them, I guess they do not want the red dots. It is unfortunate, because it
makes the Venice map much harder to read and less useful. If you are local,
please try to improve the situation, we do not need new tags, it would be
sufficient to apply the existing ones consistently rather than
indiscriminately.

Cheers,
Martin