[Tagging] How to map Hostile Architecture? e.g. benches you can't lie/sleep on?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 09:30:12 UTC 2019

Am Do., 28. Feb. 2019 um 10:14 Uhr schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> When these features call the attention, it is often because of change.
> Something that was in a certain way, is purposefully changed in order to
> stear behaviour (like those benches you posted, that now have a separating
> barrier in the middle).

different example is here:
(historic situation)
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8351491,12.4721936,3a,75y,128.22h,86.51t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spS4KLr9ECZMBwYwEDU7apg!2e0!5s20151001T000000!7i13312!8i6656
(supposedly) homeless people were living and sleeping under these arcades,
and after some years the whole arcades were closed for pedestrians:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8352037,12.4725097,3a,75y,61.09h,80.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sx8e9iD7GGk3N7pkKnPk_bQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I would consider this a hostile act, although the same feature on a
construction site would not be.

Or the removal of drinking water fountains and benches, so that people are
more likely to sit in a cafe and consume (hard to tag the absence of a
feature though).

There may also be cultural differences, e.g. setting up fences and gates on
public parks to close them at night. In some cultural context this is
perfectly normal, in others it would be really unusual.

Or subtle changes which do not need actual structural change, but only
different behaviour, e.g. "semi-public" areas (shared spaces between
several properties), which used to be open (at least during the day),
although there always have been gates, and where the gates now are always
closed.

In general, fencing off formerly accessible areas may be seen as an hostile
act by many (although backed by property laws).

Cheers,
Martin