[Tagging] amenity=police

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:43:05 UTC 2019

I wonder what we call "police" in OSM.

The wiki does not offer a lot of guidance (France aside): "A police station
is a building where police officers and other staff work and are dispatched
from, and where suspects and evidence are collected and processed."
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpolice

Is this limited to civil police forces, or does it include military forces?
The French seem to include the Gendarmerie (military force under the
jurisdiction of the Ministry of the Interior), and similarly we include the
Carabinieri in Italy (adding also landuse=military).

What about coast guards?
Typically there will be many kind of "police", according to what you count
in, and this might eventually differ between countries.

E.g. in Italy there are (list is probably not complete):
polizia postale, forestale, carabinieri, guardia costiera, polizia locale,
provinciale, municipale, di stato, guardia di finanza, carabinieri,
penitenziaria, ...

For example it may be a question (and it might also differ, depending on
the competences and duties they have in the country, whom they are
subordinate, etc.) whether we count customs service as police, or prison
officers, coast guards, maybe "intelligence services" in some occasions,
foresters, etc.

Cheers,
Martin