[Tagging] How to map Hostile Architecture? e.g. benches you can't lie/sleep on?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:04:45 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 15:39, <19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238eee at gmx.com>
wrote:

> Interesting. There is a tag building:architecture. So, if hostile is a
> style of architecture that architects recognize for benches,

It is a recognized style of architecture which goes by many names:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_architecture

Benches are one target, but there are several alternatives to multiple
arm-rests, such as the
Camden bench: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_bench

It doesn't just apply to benches but also such things as pedestrian areas
(with cats-head cobbles or
worse), steps (with studs in) and even anti-urination devices:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_urination_devices_in_Norwich

I'm not sure how we could begin to cover all the possibilities but it's
clear that tags about sleepability
don't cover all the possibilities (some hostile architecture is to deter
skateboarding).  Even
tags about arm-rests don't cover all the ways of deterring people from
sleeping on benches.

> then it could be done for benches.

I'm not even sure it's needful for benches.  Nice to know, maybe, but only
if you're homeless yet
also have a working smartphone and data plan.  OTOH, those Camden benches
look very
uncomfortable even for sitting on, so if I were looking for a bench to sit
on I'd want to avoid those.

--
Paul