[Tagging] Feature Proposal – RFC – natural=peninsula (Was: Feature Proposal – RFC – place=peninsula)

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 21:41:03 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 02:01, Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the distinction of peninsulas from capes correct (see section See also)?

I have concerns about the definition of peninsula that you've used "a piece
of land nearly surrounded by water and *connected to a larger land area by
an isthmus, that is a narrow strip of land*"

I did see that definition, but most definitions of peninsula that I have
found don't mention the "narrow strip of land" eg peninsula:  A piece of
land projecting into water from a larger land mass; cape: A piece or point
of land, extending beyond the adjacent coast into a sea or lake; a
promontory; a headland.

Another good explanation, with some examples:
https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-a-cape-and-a-peninsula-They-seem-to-have-different-definitions-that-are-in-practice-actually-the-same-thing.
As they put it "a cape can be found at the end of a peninsula. Peninsulas
are not found at the end of capes"

I also give you Cape York Peninsula,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_York_Peninsula which is a peninsula
terminating in Cape York - definitely no "narrow strips of land" involved!
:-)

Thanks

Graeme