[Tagging] Dispute on tagging place=* in Turkmenistan

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 2 00:16:29 UTC 2019

Le 02.01.19 à 00:44, Allan Mustard a écrit :
> Looking for some guidance here from the tagging experts.  Please see the
> dispute section on the Turkmenistan wiki discussion page
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Turkmenistan#Disputed:_Suggested_Place_Tags_for_Administrative_Subdivisions

it seems useful to me that each country/local community:
- keeps as much as possible the same general principle (different value
to describe that there is a difference between a hamlet of a few houses
and the largest city with some intermediate value between the 2)
- adapts the criteria between these categories according to the local
context (if no population measures exist but an official classification
gives an idea, it seems to me a good idea to use it)

but for administrative subdivisions, place=* look like wrong,
boundary=administrative + admin_level is the good schema