[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 13:11:28 UTC 2019

Sometimes it would, sometimes it would not. If the node actually represents
the start of the trail, it is already in the relation because it is part of
the way that belongs to the route. In the situation that a trailhead node
represents a named cluster of helpful facilities/amenities in the vicinity
of several trails or networks, you wouldn't want to add it to all the
relations, because a. it's not actually part of the routes and b.
maintenance of all the routes would be quite error-prone and not really
intuitive.

A site relation has been suggested for the more complex trailheads. You
would include the node there, the parking(s), the information booth or
guide stands, maybe PT-stops, possibly the route relations you can access
from the site...

Mapping a trailhead node as I suggested does not stand in the way of more
complex options. My idea: begin with the simplest common element which
supports all the other options.

Op wo 2 jan. 2019 om 12:04 schreef Tobias Wrede <list at tobias-wrede.de>:

> Wouldn't it make sense to add the trail head (node) to a route relation
> with role=trail_head?
>
> Am 01.01.2019 um 12:54 schrieb Peter Elderson:
> > At this point, I settle for just requiring that it's a named location
> > visibly designated as access point for one ore more recreational routes.
> >
> > So just a node tagged highway=trailhead and name=<Name of the trailhead>.
> >
> > Which node? Well, if it's just the start with a name on a guidepost,
> > use the guidepost node. If it's an information board with the name,
> > use that. If there is a flagpole or a stele or say a statue of the
> > pioneer who walked it first, use that. If there is none of that, use
> > the location which presents itself naturally as a starrting point when
> > you get there. If there is no such location, then it's not a trailhead!
> >
> > Anything else: optional, map and tag as seems appropriate.

Vr gr Peter Elderson