[Tagging] Dispute on tagging place=* in Turkmenistan

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:20:56 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

On 2. Jan 2019, at 01:18, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have never understood why people wanted to add place tags to administrative territorial entities like countries, states or municipalities. Aren’t these thoroughly defined with boundary=administrative and the related admin_level?
>
> Around here, it's because there are a fair number of places that don't
> have any form of self-government, but are still identifiable villages.

this is a different thing, place for settlements is perfectly fine, I agree they can be orthogonal to administrative subdivisions.

Countries without an administrative border are harder, depending on our interpretation of the meaning of place=country it might not be completely impossible any more, as long as we had the on the ground rule of defacto control it wasn’t though (i.e. until very recently).

Cheers, Martin