[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Hierarchies route=bicycle)

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 18:15:50 UTC 2019

The existing scheme for tagging cycle routes is robust. The problem I see
when 'reusing' it in a hierarchy of routes, is that we would need a role to
indicate that the sub route is traversed in reverse for a particular
"super" route. It would also help to have an indicator in JOSM to indicate
continuity in the super route IF the sub route is continuous AND the last
node of the way / relation before it is the first of the sub route's way
AND the same applies for the last waynode in the sub route and the next way
/ route in the superroute.

iD is not ideal for working with route relations. It could be changed,
obviously, if a developer can be found who wants to dedicate to such a
task, but at the moment JOSM is your best bet to have a reasonable
experience working on such routes. For now we're already glad if iD doesn't
break the route relations.

Polyglot