[Tagging] Surface on turning circles

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Wed Jan 2 18:23:37 UTC 2019

I am implementing a map rendering that differentiates roads based the type of surface. A number of these roads have turning circles which I would like to render too and I’d like to base the rendering on the surface.

Looking at the wiki page for turning_circle [1] and at taginfo [2] it appears that there has been no discussion or use of a surface tag on a point tagged as highway=turning_circle.

I suspect there are cases where a turning circle’s surface may not match the surface of the roadway so even if I could figure out how to determine the surface of the highway way the node was on it would not be a solution.

So, what is the opinion on adding to the turning_circle wiki page a section on tagging its surface? My thought would be to simply use the same surface tagging as for a highway way [3]

Thanks!

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dturning_circle
[2] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=highway&value=turning_circle#combinations
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface