[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:19:31 UTC 2019

Please note that the description of official TOPs in Nederland is not
intended as a limitative requirement for trailheads around the globe.

If we would mark every access point to a route as a trailhead,  Nederland
would be covered with trailheads, and nobody would have any use for the
information. So we limit it to these specially designed "official" transit
places. These can be usefully listed, searched, and presented based on the
OSM data. Other countries may differ in what's useful, thats fine.
 And that's why the idea is just to mark a node as highway=trailhead and
(usually) a name.

About the name: it's common to list places with names. The operator must
have some kind of name or reference. Even when there is no special name on
a sign, you still need to describe the thing, maybe using the name of the
trail and which end (north, or a town name, road name, or..).  Or name of
the park and numbered acces points, something.
If there really is nothing of the sort, and the place is still deemed as
useful to map, fine. Could still be useful to display them on a POI map or
hiking map, but search by name is then impossible.

Vr gr Peter Elderson