[Tagging] A fool with a tool ... Vehicle service tags

Thilo Haug OSM thaug at gmx.de
Thu Jan 3 15:47:06 UTC 2019

8X----------------------------------
Bryan Housel bhousel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 04:39:03 UTC 2019We discussed it here on this list last year.
You started the thread even, so you can’t pretend like you "just
realized” it.

I even asked people to update the wiki.
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-May/036095.html
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-May/036095.html>

Anyway, be nice & happy new year.
8X----------------------------------

Thanks for mentioning that, I really forgot about it.
At the time I obviously didn't realize the dimension of this
(implementing it in ID, and in which opulence).
Meanwhile it's destroying established tagging schemes and it's still not
documented
nor did someone take care to avoid further entries in the format which
triggered this decision (shop=car service=*).
And I'm afraid if I do there will be a lot of whiners crying "where has
this been discussed" ?

There was an appropriate comment at the time,
but it seems it's been ignored:

8X----------------------------------
Martin Koppenhoefer
    dieterdreist at gmail.com

    Sun May  6 20:07:50 UTC 2018

introducing undocumented and formerly unused tags via preset without any
discussion or proposal process
is something I didn’t expect from the main osmf endorsed editor.
Are there more tags that have been introduced this way,
and if yes, have they been documented in the meantime?

So which ACTION should we take now ?
At least those who introduced it should be in charge.