[Tagging] amenity=taxi vehicle type

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Jan 4 23:34:28 UTC 2019

Following a discussion on osm-carto [1], I am looking for a suitable tagging of taxi services that
are not passenger cars.

Examples are motorcycle taxis and rickshaws.

While the original approval for amenity=taxi (32k) [2] does not specify the vehicle type, some
additions were introduced in 2013 [3], apparently from the Philippines community [4], to add the
following tags:

+ motorcar=yes|no (usage 289, mostly Philippines)
+ motorcycle=yes|no (usage 290, mostly Philippines)

The problem I see here that this method hijacks access-tags, while the intention is to specify the
type of the taxi. The next best candidates for the type are also already occupied with access tagging:

taxi=yes|no (18k)
vehicle=* (203k)

Thus I propose to discourage the use of those access tags, and to use a new subtag for the type of
the taxi with an unambiguous key, e.g.:

taxi_type = car|motorcycle|rickshaw, etc,
while car is considered the implicit default.

tom

[1] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3621

[2] archived Approved features/Tag:amenity=taxi :
     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?oldid=62088

[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:amenity%3Dtaxi&diff=next&oldid=763230

[4]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Philippines/Mapping_conventions#Commuter_Transportation_.2F_Auto_Shops_.26_Services