[Tagging] Feature Proposal – RFC – natural=peninsula (Was: Feature Proposal – RFC – place=peninsula)

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 11:24:58 UTC 2019

Thank you all for your feedback and please excuse my late reply.

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 at 22:42, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have concerns about the definition of peninsula that you've used "a piece of land nearly surrounded by water and connected to a larger land area by an isthmus, that is a narrow strip of land"
>
> I did see that definition, but most definitions of peninsula that I have found don't mention the "narrow strip of land" eg peninsula:  A piece of land projecting into water from a larger land mass; cape: A piece or point of land, extending beyond the adjacent coast into a sea or lake; a promontory; a headland.

I originally included the requirement for an isthmus in order to have
a clear differentiation from capes, as the broader definition of
peninsulas without the requirement for an isthmus overlaps with the
(broader) definition of capes, see e.g. Merriam-Webster:

'a point or extension of land jutting out into water as a peninsula or
as a projecting point'

However, it seems that natural=cape has mainly been used for costal
extreme points, so we still have a differentiation, which hopefully is
clear and objective enough.

I've updated the proposal page accordingly.

Regards, Markus