[Tagging] Trail register

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Sat Jan 5 11:46:49 UTC 2019

Am 05.01.2019 um 08:24 schrieb Warin:
> On 05/01/19 14:02, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 07:23, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com
>> <mailto:jmapb at gmx.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 1/4/2019 4:10 PM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
>>
>>     > Has anyone here tagged anything similar to the case I have in
>>     mind of,
>>     where you
>>     > do it?"
>>
>>     Personally I'd be inclined to ignore the legal thou-shalt-sign-in
>>     aspects here and simply tag the register because it's a good
>>     landmark.
>>     Probably just "man_made=trail_register", keep it simple and
>>     unambiguous.
>>

>> We have a similar'ish set-up where you sometimes have to pay to take
>> your car into various National Parks :-(
>
> Err no that is a different thing entirely.
> A trail register is to indicate your intention to start a walk or when
> completed that you have finished a walk. You give personal details -
> who you are, the date, when you expect to finish, possibly even ICE
> details (In Case of Emergency).
>
> What Graeme is talking about is an entrance fee.
> Similar to a car park where you have to pay at some place.
> man_made=payment_point? And link it using a site relation?

I agree. While both require you to register the intention and
consequences are very different. Friend of mine who were canoeing on the
Yukon many years ago told me they were required to register with the
local police or ranger stations (don't remember exactly). So the
register could also be an office not merely a book in a box. As such I
also suggest to separate it from the tourism=register. I have never
heard of registers in Kevin's sense in Austria so I am pretty sure they
are the "I was here" type. They are pretty common there, often having
stamps inside for you later getting a certificate showing up with a
fully stamped booklet at the tourism office.

I would make up something new. Graem's suggestion is as good as any.

Tobias