[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 19:57:21 UTC 2019

I can see your argument.

First question: what's the harm in combining highway=trailhead and
tourism=information? Note: I'm not asking this defensively or to advocate
it, just want to understand where the problem lies.

Second: Separating these two keys is no problem in the Dutch situation. We
chose to use the exact location of the landmark/stele. Earlier mappers had
chosen to use the information board with a name-tag added. Some had used a
parking area or a node in the parking area with a name. Some thought the
pancake restaurant was the most important place and used that as a
location. Some used the rcn or rwn node nearby, ande some the starting node
of one of the routes. I've seen it all.

Now, in the Dutch situation, the information board is almost always within
a few meters of the landmark/stele and the waymarks/guideposts directing
the users to the routes. That makes those elements fit within one node.
There is a kind of logic in combining the tags within one one.
In other situations/countries, it would be logical to use another
combination or not combine it at all.

Unless there is an actual real problem, I see no reason to prescribe
anything here at this point. Let the mapper map as seems most fitting for
that situation/setup. If there is a real problem with the current Dutch
tagging, something actually going wrong because of it, I will repair it, as
long as we keep the a usable dataset.

I would like to first complete step one: finalize and document basic
tagging to provide consistent basic mapping and consistent data for
-searching (by name), -selecting (by tag), -listing (=filter by tag into a
table), -rendering trailheads.

Search by name works, (osm-carto shows that): check.

Select by tag works (overpass shows that): check

Listing works in principle (=overpass select): small check, because there
is currently no example. Well, I can select and list in JOSM, I think
that's an example but not for the consumers.

rendering: no check. It can easily be done  of course, it's just a POI,
but... oh well. Later.

Vr gr Peter Elderson