[Tagging] motorcycle tagging

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 22:38:23 UTC 2019

On 06/01/19 04:07, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 16:33, Hufkratzer <hufkratzer at gmail.com
> <mailto:hufkratzer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Oh, this was new to me; I thought the rule "Any tags you like" only
>     applies to adding additional tags in the database and not to changing
>     old tags or to rewrite the documentation. I will keep that in mind.
>

> Yeah, I thought that too.  And it's not so much a guiding principal as
> an admission of laxity.
> Nobody can stop you inventing and using any tag you want, but it is
> most certainly NOT
> encouraged.  It is preferred that you discuss it here first, and go
> through a formal proposal, in
> order to prevent multiple tags for the same objects and/or
> poorly-conceived tags.  We can't
> stop you making tags up all by yourself, but we'd prefer it if you didn't.

There is no requirement not to use any new tag that you like. Nor is
there a requirement to document it.

What 'we' would like is another matter.
As for 'encouragement' the proposal process and then the voting reality
is far from any from or 'encouragement' .. more like a torture path,
look at the rejected proposals and the way that votes were cast by
people who took no part in the discussions.

What I would like is some discussion here first. I would highly
encourage that and have done so in the past.
Then the person can make a decision - used it and document it or make a
formal proposal.
I no longer encourage people to the tagging list, and certainly not to
the proposal process.

> As for inventing a new tag to replace existing tagging and then going
> around changing existing
> tags without consultation, that is borderline vandalism (no matter how
> well conceived your new tag
> is).  And then changing the wiki to match your new scheme that you
> discussed with nobody in
> order to provide a veneer of retro-active justification, I do consider
> that to be vandalism.  OSM may
> be a bit anarchical, but it cannot function unless it is a consensual
> anarchy.

That was not my intent! I quote
-------------------------

On 5.1.2019 08:25, Warin wrote:
On 05/01/19 12:57, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Yes, should definitely be a full proposal & discussion before a major
> change is pushed through by one user.

Not mandatory in OSM ... "Any tags you like".

By that I mean "Not mandatory to make a full proposal & discuss before
introducing new tags. "
I do condone the use of new tags on new entries.

> I do not consider this particular advice from Warin to be helpful or
> to reflect the majority opinion.

I do not condone the replacement of tags by new tags that have not been
discussed and resolved into one being a suitable replacement for the other.
Such discussion should take place on this tagging list  (not elsewhere!).

I hope that is clear?