[Tagging] How do you say "no" with semicolon'ed lists? Re: Facts and opinions

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:39:04 UTC 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 15:27, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

> How do you do that? To me "sells:blah=no" is clear: that blahs are, by
> default, sold in this type of thing, but aren't here. Is there a
> standard way to do that with semicolon'ed values?

Yes.  You list all the things that are sold there and omit blah from that
list.

Admittedly, that leaves uncertainty: is blah unlisted because the mapper
got tired of typing
in all the items sold, or because the mapper is unsure, or because blah is
definitely not
sold there despite expectations that it is the type of shop that would sell
it.

The uncertainty could be resolved for consumers that run algorithms by
using "!blah" but would
likely be misinterpreted by consumers that are not versed in computer
programming.

Or, assuming that we have a sells=* tag then, we could add a does_not_sell
tag.

It's not insoluble using lists.  It's a matter of which approach works best
for all concerned.

--
Paul

--