[Tagging] Facts and opinions

Bryan Housel bhousel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 19:03:00 UTC 2019

> On Jan 9, 2019, at 1:39 PM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> wrote:
> Jan 9, 2019, 7:33 PM by bhousel at gmail.com:
> On Jan 9, 2019, at 1:18 PM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> wrote:
> Jan 7, 2019, 4:12 PM by bhousel at gmail.com <mailto:bhousel at gmail.com>:
> And on “the wiki”, I have basically given up on the OSM wiki because it contains so much wrong information and opinion, and I’m tired of having my edits reverted. I just recently had another issue where we added a traffic signal tag that was already used, and then someone edited the wiki to rant about how iD is wrong and for people to not use the tag
> What is your username on wiki?
>
> I expected it to be Bhousel but this description seems to not match
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&offset=&limit=500&contribs=user&target=Bhousel&namespace=0&tagfilter=&start=&end= <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&offset=&limit=500&contribs=user&target=Bhousel&namespace=0&tagfilter=&start=&end=>
> Yes that is - pretty obviously - me. What it is that you are feigning confusion about?
> For start, I see no edits related to traffic signals.

Yes, I did not edit the page.  (because I don’t care anymore)

Some people were upset that iD defaults normal traffic signals to have the tag `traffic_signals=signal`.  Here is an issue:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/5016 <https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/5016>

M!dgard was mad that I closed the issue and so he started editing the wiki to say that iD is wrong
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:traffic_signals&oldid=1605351 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:traffic_signals&oldid=1605351>

Minh and another editor have tried to tone down his language.  He keeps putting it back.

This is one of the reason why I stopped caring about the wiki..

It’s not documentation.  It’s just a bunch of prescriptive advice by random people.  Most of the people involved don’t even work on software.  They’re just really into tagging and arguing, and I don’t have time for it.