[Tagging] Feature Proposal – RFC – natural=peninsula (Was: Feature Proposal – RFC – place=peninsula)

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu Jan 10 21:46:39 UTC 2019

W dniu 10.01.2019 o 22:29, Christoph Hormann pisze:
> On Thursday 10 January 2019, Markus wrote:
>> I've replaced *nearly surrounded by water* with *surrounded by water
>> on the majority of its border*, but i'm unsure whether this is
>> clearer. If you or someone has a better idea, please tell me.
> That is a fairly toothless criterion

I agree. For any part of the land - let's say it's a cape triangle with
"a" and "b" being both coastline and "c" being land border - a+b is
greater than c, even if a and b are straight lines.

> A more robust and tighter criterion would be that the length of the
> non-water part of the boundary needs to be shorter than the square root
> of its area.

Another idea could be using absolute measures. For example anything up
to kilometer is a cape and anything bigger is peninsula.

It can be also multi-criteria definition, similar to monument: peninsula
can be anything bigger than that and if it contains at least one cape etc.

Maybe we could also start with real life examples first to know where is
the most common limit of size/proportion etc. for both types.

BTW: if we want to use proportion of length to area, we claim that we
know this area somehow.

--
"I see dead people" [Sixth Sense]