[Tagging] Quick Building tracing question... -> Area Selector JOSM plugin

André Pirard a.pirard.papou at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:40:18 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-10 03:42, John Willis wrote:
> I am tracing and repairing existing traces of warehouses in an
> industrial district.
On a slightly different but similar subject.
To do serious fast building tracing, one should use JOSM with Area
Selector Plugin <https://github.com/JOSM/areaselector> and an
orthorectified map such as PICC in geoportail.wallonie.be or
basemap.at.  That goes, complete with auto-incrementing street number
tagging, at the rate of one house per 5-10 sec, but needs occasional
touch up with Improve Way Accuracy tool.
While doing that I also make lots of corrections to traces by other OSM
editors with a 2, 5 m or more precision error.
This is partly because they trace roofs from aerial maps, which are not
at ground location because the camera view and walls are slanted. But
also the roads are affected by imprecision.
Orthorectification does an incredible job of putting that right,
impossible to do by hand. It computes the slant angle in one place, uses
it in another, uses shades on the ground etc. I've seen it detect in
meadows banks (slopes) that were strictly invisible to the eye.
This raises a problem.
When meeting untagged buildings that have been coarsely traced 5-10 m
away from their position, should they simply be erased and replaced in 5
secs or should 20+ sec instead of 5 be spent for conflation?
I asked Paul to add conflation
<https://github.com/JOSM/areaselector/issues/23>. He did it, but with no
tag merging.
I suggested that Area Selector simply invoked Replace Geometry instead
<https://github.com/JOSM/areaselector/issues/30>.
If you feel that conflation is important, please visit these pages and
back these requests.