[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Jan 10 23:59:14 UTC 2019

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 8:49 AM, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ditches are also used to drain excess water.
>
> In the USA we have irrigation ditches in dry areas and drainage ditches in wet areas.

it is especially difficult where I am, because the irrigation ditiches cascade from on set of fields to the next, sometimes are concrete, sometimes dirt; sometimes “natural”, sometimes man-made; they all flow like batter in a waffle iron.

“drains” that take away excess water and runoff eventually lead to another set of fields, before being dumped back in the river (only to begin the cycle again 500m later).

the idea of ditches and drains seem to be an attempt to define “channel” with a preset type, construction material, and usage - when it is very vague in some countries.

Javbw