[Tagging] Creating shop=caravan

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 10:10:54 UTC 2019

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 13. Jan 2019, at 09:51, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have no personal knowledge of the word caravan. To me, it makes no sense at all to label anything having wheels as a caravan when everyone knows a caravan is a string of freight-hauling camels negotiating the Sahara.

My dictionary;
A vehicle having 4 wheels pulled by a horse, traditionally inhabited by Romani people, circus folk, etc.
A group of merchants or others travelling together, as for safety, especially over deserts.

No mention of camels, yet that second definition fits there use.

I would have thought that the kiwis would stick to a strict British meaning of the word.

> if we’ll ever do osm 2.0 it might be worth considering German as language for tags. Here it would be Wohnmobil and Wohnwagen and no association with camels whatsoever. ;-)

There are 'programming languages'. If possible I'd go for a 'mapping language' :)

I was rather proficient in machine language. Not practising that at all these days.

However .. any new language will evolve and diverge, so it will eventually end up like English ... confused.