[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Hierarchies route=bicycle)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:37:07 UTC 2019

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 10:38, Axelos <axelos at broman.fr> wrote:

The direction signs are a real problem. An alternative solution is to
> exploit the destination key
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org//search?q=destination%3Abicycle

However, it's an incomplete solution.  Around here, official cycle routes
have fingerposts
which show a bicycle icon and the number of the route.  It's not a
destination, just an
indication that cycle route 82 is along a particular direction.

Similarly, the UK has many public footpaths and bridleways.  Where they
join a highway there
is usually a fingerpost with an icon of either a walking person (footpath)
or a horse (bridleway).
No destination is given.  It's useful to indicate, in some way, that these
are signs for
footpaths or bridleways so that people know what they're looking for when
navigating.

Also, the town where I live relies heavily on tourism.  Several months ago
it installed four
fingerposts pointing to various destinations within the town.  I've
currently handled those in
the description but it's a very clunky way of doing it.  See, for example.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5995875128 and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6201876775

I would welcome some way of tagging those meanings on
information=guidepost.  Maybe, as
part of figuring out the best way to handle destination signs, we could
also consider those issues.

--
Paul