[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Mon Jan 14 16:41:36 UTC 2019

Am 11.01.2019 um 18:15 schrieb Andy Townsend:
> On 11/01/2019 17:05, Peter Elderson wrote:
>>  The Trans-Pennine Trail trailhead is a trailhead
>
> No - it really isn't.  That was my entire point.  I'm willing to bet a
> small round of beer in the pub up the road that almost no-one walking
> past that info board will say "oh look - that's a trailhead for the TPT".

I wouldn't agree here. Even if your pub patrons wouldn't call it a
trailhead it is one. The TPT purposely makes  a detour to the South to
meet Chesterfield station.
(https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1u1vrqls0lVh49X3ZpT7Bh2728Q8&ll=53.244018099803014%2C-1.4135915937870323&z=15
Isn't the trail mapped in OSM?) It might not have a big signpost "here
be trails" but it meets the consensus definition of a trailhead, namely
giving easy access to a trail. On top it even has an information board,
parking, rail station, toilets in the station, pub up the road, ... It's
quite a posh trailhead actually ( :-) to use some other participant's
words here).

The position of the new board you mapped is not the trailhead, though.
I'm with you that far.

> The problem with trying to shoe-horn other features into a particular
> definition is that it dilutes the value of the features with that tag
> that have already been mapped - in this case trailheads where
> "everyone" will agree that they are trailheads.

+1

> That's not to say that the features that you're trying to record
> aren't very important - I'm sure that they are, and it would make
> total sense for a Dutch-focused transport, cycling or
> wanderroute-oriented map to show them.
Absolutely.