[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Jan 15 16:10:18 UTC 2019

> On Jan 15, 2019, at 7:28 AM, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 15:22, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com <mailto:pelderson at gmail.com>> wrote:
> At what size is it that a ditch turns into a drain?
>
> The same size that a boy turns into a man.  Or when  you line the boy with concrete.

I assume “line the boy with concrete” to mean “line the ditch with concrete”.

There are a bunch of irrigation ditches in places like Arizona that are concrete lined simply to assure the water makes it to the field rather than soaking into the very dry ground under the ditch.

So my take would be size and “same size that a boy turns into a man” is probably a good way to describe the choice, i.e. judgement call by mapper.

Cheers!