[Tagging] Drain vs ditch

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 00:26:53 UTC 2019

Graeme, I like the definitions you posted but why add "channel" to the
list? When I think of a channel I think of a shipping lane or a dredged
channel where ships with deeper drafts can pass through shallow water. From
my online dictionary:

1. the bed of a stream, river, or other waterway.
2. Nautical: a navigable route between two bodies of water.
3. the deeper part of a waterway.

Although the 1st definition sort of agrees with your usage, the common
definition in the U.S. is closer to the other two. There are several other
definitions given but most of them are similar to those two. So it will be
a bit confusing to use here in the U.S. but it's not a huge problem if it
appears in the Wiki list of definitions.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 7:08 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 23:28, Eugene Podshivalov <yaugenka at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The confusion is mainly in the difference between irrigation canals vs
>> irrigation ditches and drainage diches vs drains.
>>
>> In practice wide irrigation channels are called canals whereas small ones
>> are called diches and people tend to tag them as such.
>> This tendency is enforced by the fact that canals and diches are rendered
>> in difference size.
>> IMO there is no problem here, we should just document this usage properly.
>>
>> Drainage diches and drains are confused simply because of their identical
>> definition on the waterway wiki page
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway
>> drain - An artificial free flow waterway used for carrying superfluous
>> water like storm water...
>> ditch - An small artificial free flow waterway used for carrying
>> superfluous water along paths or roads for drainage purposes
>>

> So, would we all be happy with redoing the various wiki pages along these
> lines:
>
> =canal:
> current: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
> canal for man-made *open flow* (free flow vs pipe flow) waterways
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways> used to carry useful
> water for transportation, hydro-power generation or irrigation purposes.
>
> suggested: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>
> =canal for large man-made *open flow* (free flow vs pipe flow) waterways
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways> used to carry useful
> water, usually for transportation, but also for hydro-power generation or
> irrigation purposes
>
> =drain
> current: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
> drain for artificial waterways
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways>, typically lined with
> concrete or similar, used to carry superfluous water like storm water or
> grey-discharge.
>
> suggested: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>
> =drain for artificial waterways
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways>, typically lined with
> concrete or similar, usually used to carry water for drainage or
> irrigation purposes.
>
> =ditch
> current: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>=
> ditch for simple narrow artificial waterways
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways> used to drain nearby
> land, to remove storm-water or similar. Ditches are usually straight (as
> opposed to natural streams). They may contain little water or even be dry
> most of the year – to mark this intermittent
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:intermittent>=yes may be used.
>
> suggested: Use waterway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway>
> =ditch for simple narrow artificial waterways
> [...]

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand