[Tagging] Link roads between different highways type

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 13:06:10 UTC 2019

Am Mi., 16. Jan. 2019 um 13:20 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 03:27, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>

>> In the US, this shouldn't be a thing; should be trunk from the last ramp
>> due to the intersection.
>>

> Radical proposal: change the wiki.  Have it say that the link road should
> have the category
> specified by the pertinent authority: in some countries that is often (but
> not always) the higher
> category.  Something along those lines.  Because it's clear that it is
> very dependent on the
> country and may also be modified by local circumstances.  Having a global
> rule that doesn't
> apply in many circumstances is less than useful.

I would argue for motorway links (and trunk links according to the "German
trunk interpretation") it is already like this, and for all the other links
it could be the other way round. Maybe the rule should be something like
the link is the same class than the road it _belongs_ to (and this is to be
decided by the mapper, e.g. based on context, road typology, shape, ...).
In practise it seems it is done like this.

In cases where a minor road has short links to and from a major road, it is
already common practice to use the lower classification, e.g. here:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/185148546 (Italy)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/329572626 (DE)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/391467084 (DE)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/35141178 (UK, not tagged as a link but
comparable to above situations)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4089085 (UK, same)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/118449015 (UK, maybe here's a tagging
issue?)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/114398311 (FR, not tagged as link)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/311566506 (FR same)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/35449361 (FR same)

in the UK and France I first did not find any links other than motorway and
trunk links (by clicking around) and had to use Overpass to find some:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/184421347 (wiki conformal)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/41262553 (not)
etc.

Particularly situations like this would look very strange if they were
strictly following the idea of using the higher class:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/145520505

Cheers,
Martin