[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 00:14:21 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 5:29 PM Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most trailheads I have seen mapped have a name that contains the trail/track/route name. See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:trailhead#Photos

That's the name of the route, not the name of the trailhead.

I recognize that your beloved TOP's are named, but naming a trailhead
is the exception, not the rule. Or at least near me, most trailheads
don't have names of their own. They are referred to by a description -
'the Prediger Road trailhead on the Devil's Path', 'the Stony Clove
trailhead on the Becker Hollow trail', 'the Elk Lake trailhead south
of Mount Marcy'.

For instance, one of your images:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:High_Peaks_Trailhead_and_Mileage_sign_-_panoramio.jpg
simply names the High Peaks Wilderness Area, which is a rather large
(275000 acres == 1111 kmĀ²) place with a couple of dozen trailheads.
>From the names of the destinations, it appears to be a trailhead
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4239455477 for which the en route
signage would read 'Elk Lake' - the name of a nearby geographic
feature https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4094054, but that, too,
names the lake, not the trailhead. The destinations shown on the sign
are all in the interior of High Peaks Wilderness, with the exception
of the Adirondak Loj, which is a lodging/camping facility for hikers
(https://www.adk.org/stay/adirondak-loj-at-heart-lake/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/489821677) and has road access.
The signpost doesn't describe a single route beyond Panther Gorge; the
destinations listed are accessed via various different trails. I don't
see a named trailhead anywhere.

Naming all of the trailheads that enter HPWA 'High Peaks Wilderness
Area' because that's what it says on the sign will serve only to
confuse.  Naming them by nearby geographic features will also be
confusing, and the en route signs aren't always consistent about
naming. One sign might say 'Mink Hollow', another 'Roaring Kill',
another 'Elka Park', depending on whether the valley, the stream, or
the settlement are used to identify the place - all three refer to the
same trailhead.

When the sign gives a trail name, that'll be confusing too. A long
trail may have dozens of trailheads, with the signs all bearing its
name.

And trailheads named by the location they're near will also confuse.
There are a lot of trails that converge on the grounds of the Loj, and
naming them all 'Adirondak Loj' will serve no purpose.

I'd say, by all means you should map the name if the trailhead has a
specific name that refers to it. Putting the name of the trail, the
name of the park, or the name of a nearby geographic feature on the
trailhead node is not the right thing unless that formally names the
trailhead as well.