[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Fri Jan 18 10:53:05 UTC 2019

Am 18.01.2019 um 09:48 schrieb Marc Gemis:
> So limiting it to named trails would be an option, however, the
> tourist agencies seem to replace all such named walks with walking
> node networks, so "trails" are now everywhere.
> This means that you can start almost anywhere on a signposted walk.
> Just take a look at
> https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=9!50.9966!4.9715 and see how
> fine mazed the orange networks are in Flanders and The Netherlands.
> Note that not all network routes are mapped in Flanders yet and they
> also rolled out a virtual network, which is no longer marked along the
> way, but for which you need an app or GPS. So some holes will have to
> be filled on the waymarkedtrails map.
>
> So I wonder whether we should map all trial x road junctions as
> trailheads or limit them to places with more facilities (just to be
> clear, locally, in Flanders). I don't know.

I see your point. I had forgotten about node networks. While I haven't
really seen any for hiking yet personally, they are also growing here
for the cycling network. And of course they are mapped as route
relations. I'm not sure if I should reconsider my earlier suggestion to
put trailheads on anything in a route relation or not. While you clearly
also have to enter a node network somewhere I see them more as a general
navigation aid than a "trail". Whenever I use them I start from home or
wherever I am, find my way to the closest node in the general direction
and take it from there. I don't go to that node by car or bus first.
It's probable that I already enter the network somewhere inbetween two
nodes.

So I wouldn't consider every node as a trailhead. And i would not put a
trailhead on every intersection of a road and a network leg. If there
was a somehow designated or customary place, though, where you would
start hiking/cycling on the node network that could be marked as a
trailhead with the same rights as on a "classical trail".

Does that make sense?

Tobi