[Tagging] Forest parcel with other landcover (scrub, scree…): how to map?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 04:19:20 UTC 2019

On 20/01/2019 23:17, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> > The end to this madness is for renders to recognise that the
> landuse=forest needs to be rendered differently from natural=wood.
>
> Until several years ago the “standard” style (Openstreetmap-Carto) did
> show a difference between landuse=forest and natural=wood. However,
> mappers used these two tags interchangeably even then. The rendering
> was changed to match actually database usage on a global scale, which
> is that both tags are often used to tag any area covered with trees.

One suggestion that I've made here before is explicitly to use
"landuse=forestry" for areas that may or may not have trees on them, if
the areas with trees within have been mapped separately

An example is
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/620189661#map=15/54.0158/-0.9549 , and
the result, in a renderer that deals with it, looks like
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=16&lat=54.01539&lon=-0.95744
.

That renderer also processes landuse=forest the same way - see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/44018882 and
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=53.21319&lon=-1.18217
for an example of that.

So from both a tagging and a rendering perspective it's a solvable
problem, but the way I've done it does go against a couple of the "ways
of working" that OSM's standard style has (e.g. transparency).

Best Regards,

Andy